Re: Example of coordination with DDC

Houghton,Andrew wrote:

> Having just looked at the data in the Dewey editorial system, it
> appears that the editors have been adding the components of a
> synthesized class since at least Edition 20, circa 1996.

That does not help with manually synthesized classes and If you don't
get the data because auf licensing issues ;-)

> Being the person who has been looking at modeling the DDC in SKOS, I'm
> not sure that SKOS directly needs to define classes and properties for
> expressing the components of a synthesized class.  SKOS tries to use the
> Dublin Core namespace where possible rather than duplicate functionality
> in other namespaces.  To model the components of a synthesized class, I
> have been using dcterms:hasPart and when I have needed to maintain the
> order, use an rdf:Seq.  For example:
>
> <dcterms:hasPart rdf:resource=Uri"/>
> <dcterms:hasPart rdf:resource=Uri"/>
>
> or
>
> <dcterms:hasPart>
>  <rdf:Seq>
>   <rdf:li rdf:resource="Uri"/>
>   <rdf:li rdf:resource="Uri"/>
>  </rdf:Seq>
> </dcterms:hasPart>

You're right - we should not needlessly introduce new elements. To
express DDC heading's (aka captions in other classifications) I use
dc:title. For instance in DDC there are several classes named
“Historical, geographic, persons treatment”, so you cannot use
skos:prefTerm. For DDC numbers I use <skos:prefLabel xml:lang="art"> so
I don't need a new "notation" element. What's you opinion about encoding
notations and headings in SKOS?

Greetings,
Jakob