Re: Example of coordination with DDC

Nabonita Guha wrote:

> I'm a library science professional exploring the application of library
> classification theory on Web using Semantic Technologies. I've also made
> a comparative study of various library classification schemes.

Nice to get to know you :-)

> There is a less known classification system which is based on
> well-proven library classification theory, that is called Colon
> Classification (CC). I see great potentials of this system to resolve
> the problem of knowledge organization on Web. Take for e.g., the one
> complex subject 'Geopolitics': made up of two basic subjects 'geography
> and politics'. In UDC the no. will be 32:91
>
> 32 = Politics
>   : = relation symbol
> 91 = Geography
>
> Now here's a no. from CC for the same specific subject: U:(W)
>
> Here U = Geography
>          : = symbol of Energy facet (some activity, process or action,
> influence)
>        ( ) = Subject device
>        W = Political Science
>
> So, the number of CC says that the subject deals with the influence of
> political factors in a geographical area. Where as in UDC the nature of
> relationship between two subject components is not so explicit.

Well, as far as I understand UDC, you can also use a directed
relationship connector (::) - but in general you are right.

I would express the UDC number something like:

skos:Coordination
  skos:coordinationType #Relation
  skos:coordinationMember #32(Politics);
  skos:coordinationMember #91(Geography);
  skos:prefLabel "32:91"

> I do not means to show here mere the strengths & weaknesses of two
> classification schemes, but want to say that if our knowledge
> organization system should be backed by well-proved theory, logic and
> some principles of helpful sequence. If we can incorporate all these in
> SKOS, then we will definitely be able to make SKOS a sound knowledge
> organization system, but with proper simplicity. Coordination of subject
> components is definitely essential, but with proper logic.

SKOS should be able to express DDC, UDC and CC - but it must stay
simple! So what do you suggest to express CC's "U:(W)" in the next SKOS?
I must admit that I don't understand the concept of "devices" in CC. I
have seen that there is also Chronological Device (CD); Geographical
Device (GD) etc. Can you explain it?

Greetings,
Jakob