RE: Use AND type references

Hi Lori, all,

Thanks alot for this requirement, this is just a note to say that I think we should look to put together a proposal for this for the next review.

I think there's actually two requirements here.  The first is a requirement to be able to assert in index metadata that the subject of a document is not just (cut flowers, crop production) but is in fact (cut flowers + crop production).  This is very similar to the requirement that came from Robert Watkins regarding MeSH and the use of 'qualifiers' (see [1] and subsequent in thread).  Leonard noted in that thread that this is an example of a common problem in post-coordinate indexing systems, regarding false hits.

My current thinking is something along the lines of allowing indexers to express the subject of a document by building a 'compound concept' on the fly, and then using that compound concept in the metadata expression.

This would require a new class and a new property, e.g. (using notation3):

skos:CompoundConcept a rdfs:Class;
  rdfs:subClassOf skos:Concept;
.

skos:component a rdf:Property;
  rdfs:domain skos:CompoundConcept;
  rdfs:range skos:Concept;
  rdfs:subPropertyOf skos:broader;
.

The idea is that instances of skos:CompoundConcept are blank nodes, and built on-the-fly by indexers.  This would allow expressions like...

<http://somewhere.org/somedoc> skos:subject
  [
    a skos:CompoundConcept;
    skos:component eg:cutflowers;
    skos:component eg:cropproduction;
  ];
.

... which is more expressive than ...

<http://somewhere.org/somedoc>
  skos:subject eg:cutflowers;
  skos:subject eg:cropproduction;
.

I think Leonard's problem is that currently most databases of subject index metadata allow you to express the second, but not the first.

The neat bit about the above is to make the property skos:compound a sub-prop of skos:broader - which means that query expansion tools running over the closure of skos:broader would automatically show up this result under an expanded search for e.g. 'cut flowers'.

The second requirement is to be able to generate documentation from an un-coordinated concept scheme (i.e. before any indexing has been done) that directs the indexer to build a compound concept as described above.  I.e. given some SKOS data I want to be able to generate e.g.:

cut flower production USE cut flowers
                          AND crop production

... which is just one possible way of documenting this instruction.  Within a web based system, for example, there could be a hyperlink which when activated generates the compound concept for the indexer (i.e. handles all the database stuff).

I'm not sure how to represent that yet, noting that if you have e.g. (notation3):

eg:cutflowers a skos:Concept;
  skos:prefLabel 'cut flowers';
  skos:altLabel 'cut flower production';
.

eg:cropproduction a skos:Concept;
  skos:prefLabel 'crop production';
  skos:altLabel 'cut flower production';
.

... you don't actually have enough information to generate the above indexing instruction.

I.e. if you have a literal which turns up as an alternative label for more than one concept, you don't know whether to generate an 'AND' or an 'OR' type instruction for the indexer.

You could do something like e.g.

[] a skos:CompoundConcept;
  skos:component eg:cutflowers;
  skos:component eg:cropproduction;
  skos:altLabel 'cut flower production';
.

... which is essentially the same as Bernard's suggestion.  A potential problem with this is that you are actually pre-coordinating concepts, and the basic point of a post-coordinate scheme is that you can co-ordinate on-the-fly as you index.

Anyway, just mooting some thoughts, I haven't really thought it through properly, and not sure I fully understand the problem yet.  But I'm sure we can find a solution, the job will be to make sure it fits with everything else :)

Cheers for now,

Al.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2005Jul/0028.html