Re: [PORT] new editor's working draft of SKOS Core Vocab Spec

I regret not making it to Vienna, but hope to get to ISKO next summer. Back
to the problem of multiple concepts covered by the same term:
This is an artifact of termologies that has traditionally been illegal in
thesauri because of the different objectives of the two systems.
Terminological resources traditionally document real language in a
discipline. While mononymy and monosemy (univocality) are desireable in
standardized terminology, descriptive approaches recognize that homonymy and
polysemy abound, even in specialized subject fields. Constraing references,
subject as multiple subfield notations (similar to scopes) are widely used
to clarify the semantics involved.
 Moving back to the notion of extensions: Alan Melby and I have been working
on just that concept, of proposing a terminology extension that would enable
a kind of crosswalk between terminological concept systems and SKOS. Laurent
Romary is working on something similar. ISO TC 37 is initiating a new
concept system standard which will undoubtedly pickup this issue and carry
it further.
 I'm glad Stella cited the BSI draft BS8723, which is being elaborated more
or less in parallel with the NISO Z39.19. I'm very concerned that we
recognize all the traditions out there and account for differences in
approach. It's important to recognize some of the terminological and
methodological differences that occur between communities of practice and
not to be judgmental when comparing them. By the same token, a great deal
can be gained in the long run with respect to information retrieval and
manipulation if we can indeed translate differences into interoperable
extensions and crosswalks.
 Bye for now
Sue Ellen
 Bye for now