RE: notes at contepts vs notes at terms

This time I don't see this quite the same way as Sue, or Alistair for
that matter. I agree that the term "term" may be used in a lot of
different contexts; I agree this can cause confusion in communications.
But I don't believe you can get rid of "term". Terms do happen to exist,
they are very important in thesauri, and we have to deal with them,
whether we like the name or not. If necessary, we could call them
"thesaurus terms", but we cannot pretend they are not there, and we *do*
need to be able to refer to them without calling them "concepts"
(because they are *not* concepts - they only represent concepts.)

Moving on from that, I must try to fulfil my promise to provide examples
of when thesaurus editors may like to attach notes to terms *not*
concepts. You may find the examples more convincing if you imagine them
all being applied to non-preferred terms:

1. History notes.
For example, a non-preferred term "Beagles" might need the following
history note: 'Previously a non-preferred term of "Dogs"; became a
non-preferred term of "Hounds" when the latter was introduced as a
preferred term in 2003.'

As it happens I have never myself used this type of note, and we have
not provided for it (yet) in BS8723. But I have been sorely tempted on
several occasions during a recent project. Of course, it is possible to
attach the information to the concept History Note(s) - in this case
you'd need to say something in the HNs of both "Dogs" and "Hounds" - but
it gets cumbersome.

2. Editorial Notes.
Example A: "Term proposed for upgrading to preferred status on
2004-10-01. Proposal rejected on grounds of ..... File reference
XYZ-123"

Example B: "Term requested by Bloggins on 2002-03-03"

Example C: "Term source: ABC Thesaurus"

In a recent project I have been merging three vocabularies into one, and
there are vested interests behind the retention of some terms that might
otherwise have been dropped. Sometimes it is useful to keep an audit
trail of exactly where the term came from, who wants it, why they want
it, and what arguments have already been had about it. Some of the
arguments may be about the underlying concept; but sometimes they are
really focussed on a particular term.

3. Definitions.
Sometimes it is useful to retain definitions of terms gleaned from
various sources - even when several definitions for the same term
conflict with each other. They do *not* constitute definitions of the
concept that is wanted for retrieval purposes. But they may come in
handy when thesaurus changes are proposed, or for associated scholarly
work. To see examples, look at the AAT
(http://www.getty.edu/research/conducting_research/vocabularies/aat/inde
x.html). Look at the record for any preferred term - take "drug jars"
for example. Last time I looked, 14 different non-preferred terms were
listed, and for each of these there was a reference to the sources where
it was found e.g. Webster's Dictionary, the OED, Spillman's "Glass
Bottles", etc. Not everyone can afford to do scholarly work on this
scale, and you could say the AAT is an example in a class of its own.
But work like this does happen, you do find it in real live thesauri,
and people do want to exchange such data.

4. Mappings
I've heard some people say they want to be able to map to/from
non-preferred terms (separately from the mappings between their
corresponding preferred terms). I've yet to be convinced of this in a
real case, but some people do believe in it strongly.

OK, I hope that's enough examples. I agree with the argument that a
capability for having notes on terms is not nearly such a high priority
as that for notes on concepts. But the need occurs commonly enough to
make a case for  accommodating it in a model that aims to be
comprehensive. Perhaps it could be in a model for more advanced users,
so as not to create unnecessary difficulties for users with simpler
needs?

Then there's a parallel argument, the one Ron raised about relationships
between non-preferred terms in different languages of one multilingual
thesauri. He and I have discussed this before, and he knows I'm not keen
on this practice. (It has a lot in common with the case of mappings,
mentioned above.) But he is right to say that a number of well-known
multilingual thesauri do follow this practice. If you want to keep their
editors on side, you have to provide for their needs.

Plenty to keep us all busy thinking....
Stella

Stella Dextre Clarke
Information Consultant
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, Oxon, OX12 8RR, UK
Tel: 01235-833-298
Fax: 01235-863-298
SDClarke@LukeHouse.demon.co.uk