RE: Quick Guide to Publishing a Thesaurus on the Semantic Web

> Why mention the relational database at all? I can't see its
> relevance to
> what follows. Although I acknowledge that storage in a relational
> database does seem to make it more difficult to produce flat text file
> outputs.
> Stella

I think it is worth mentioning relational databases.

When I did the conversion of an English Heritage thesaurus last year as part of SWAD-Europe work (see [1]) I used comma delimited files that were a direct output of the relational tables in which the thesaurus is stored.  Thus I was working on a transformation from a relational structure to a graph structure, and I needed to understand the relational schema which constrained the source data.

Cheers,

Al.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/thes/8.8/#4.2