RE: Quick Guide to Publishing a Thesaurus on the Semantic Web

Mark and Alistair,

At 17:24 3/05/2005, Miles, AJ \(Alistair\) wrote:

>Most thesauri are stored in a relational database, XML file(s) or text
>file(s).
>It is usually possible to create an RDF representation of a thesaurus from
>its current representation format via some sort of automated procedure
>(e.g. a text parsing program, an XSLT transformation etc.)

I have no objection to the rest of the text which sounds very sensible, and
gives a good example. However I wonder if it is really true that there are
very many thesauri stored in XML files or (really!?!) text files. From the
user point of view the largest category would probably be thesauri that are
stored in thesaurus management systems; whether the RDBMS that underlies
most of those would be visible or accessible to most users is another
question. How about the following text instead?

<quote>
Most thesauri are managed in a automated system, often in a relational
database structure but possibly in other formats. It should usually be
possible to create an RDF representation of the thesaurus, either directly
from the source data or indirectly from standard output of the thesaurus
management system, via some sort of automated procedure (e.g. a database
report, a text parsing program or an XSLT transformation).
</quote>

I think this might this be a little closer to reality. (Or at least reality
as I perceive it. ;-)

Ron

Ron Davies
Information and documentation systems consultant
Av. Baden-Powell 1  Bte 2, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Email:  ron(at)rondavies.be
Tel:    +32 (0)2 770 33 51
GSM:    +32 (0)484 502 393