Models

Al,

Sorry, I had understood that there had been in the past some discussion of
the 'concept-based model' underlying SKOS as opposed to the so-called
'term-based model' underlying the approach of many thesaurus practitioners,
so I assumed that these differences were already known. The kinds of
information elements not covered by the SKOS core model are things like
History note, Source, Definition, Status, Editorial Note, Date of input and
Date last modified for a non-descriptor. In some use cases, for example in
providing a full thesaurus to another institution for use at the second
institution, or to an organization for translation of the thesaurus, these
could be considered as essential data elements which would mitigate against
use of SKOS. But I can certainly understand that in the context of the
Semantic web these might not be considered important use cases.

In multilingual thesauri there is also the question of non-descriptors
where there is an association between the non-descriptors, i.e. they
describe a concept on the edge of the domain which has been treated as a
non-descriptor not because there is not literary warrant for them to be
considered as a concept in itself. For example, the OECD Macrothesaurus as
developed by the OECD has Leeward Islands an a non-descriptor (though the
concept is clearly defined, is distinct from other related concepts and can
be expressed in several languages) simply because there is not enough
material to justify it as a concept, though when it is used by the UN
Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean the non-descriptor
is switched over to become a descriptor. In these cases, it may be useful
to associate the different non-descriptors together in a single
non-descriptor record (which represent a concept, no matter how you define
concept). I hesitate to mention this case because the importance that I
accord to this use is not shared by all my colleagues, but it may still be
an important point of consideration for developers of some multilingual
thesauri.

I hope this helps.

Ron