RE: SKOS Extensions ... broaderDirect/narrowerDirect ... ?

No comment on why or how to sort out the matter Alistair has raised, but
in case you find it useful, here are some examples of how arbitrary the
"immediate parent" can be.

The first is from EMTREE:

	"cattle
	     bovids
	          artiodactyla
	               ungulate
				       placental mammals
				            mammal
							    vertebrate

Shown below is the subtly different entry for "cattle" in the CAB
Thesaurus.  These examples illustrate that the concept of hierarchical
level in thesauri is relative, not absolute, and that the choice of
levels is driven by perceived user needs, not theoretical principles.
In other words, the presence of a BT/NT relationship, even if the
convention BT1, BT2, etc. is used to distinguish between levels, does
not indicate what semantic distance separates the pair of linked terms.
In different thesauri, a case could be made for giving the immediate BT
of cattle as ruminants, or as mammals, or as animals.

from CAB Thesaurus (1995 edition):

	Cattle
	   BT1   Bos
	      BT2   Bovidae
	         BT3   ruminants
	            BT4   artiodactyla
	               BT5   mammals	"

The above is an extract, by the way, lifted from my chapter on Thesaurus
Relationships in the 2001 book by Bean and Green on "Relationships in
the Organization of Knowledge"

Cheers
Stella

Stella Dextre Clarke
Information Consultant
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, Oxon, OX12 8RR, UK
Tel: 01235-833-298
Fax: 01235-863-298
SDClarke@LukeHouse.demon.co.uk