RE: Quick comment from new SKOS user

From: Dickinson, Ian John (HP Labs, Bristol, UK) <ian.dickinson@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:15:56 -0000
To: "Miles, AJ (Alistair)" <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Cc: <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

Hi Al,
> I thought about adding an rdfs:comment to the description of
> the skos:broader and skos:narrower properties specifically to
> indicate the directionality, but I've been trying to avoid
> phrases like 'The skos:broader predicate implies that the
> object of the statement is broader than the subject' which is
> fine for RDF experienced folks but a bit confusing for others
> (I would get 'object' and 'subject' mixed up for a good long while :)
An example often helps to clarify such things. How about:

"The skos:broader predicate implies that the object
(right hand argument) of the statement is
broader, i.e. more general, than the subject
(left argument). For example, 'Tiger skos:broader Feline'."

Possibly replacing 'argument' with 'operand' to avoid confusing the
senses "parameter" and "dispute, justification".

Ian