RE: Quick comment from new SKOS user

From: Dickinson, Ian John (HP Labs, Bristol, UK) <ian.dickinson@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:18:59 -0000
To: "Dan Brickley" <danbri@w3.org>
Cc: <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

Hi Dan,
> FWIW this style is most consistent with that advocated in the
> RDF specs, which originally made this explicit by noting that
> we read "[subject] has a [property name] value which is
> [object]". eg.
> [restaurants] has a [narrower] value which is [vegetarian restaurants]

[snip]
> As an aside, I think
> rdfs:subPropertyOf and rdfs:subClassOf would much better have
> been named rdfs:superProperty, and rdfs:superClass but it's
> too late for that now.
yes, this gets to the heart of it.  The intended reading you suggest
above would indeed make it wrong to have a preposition or verb in the
predicate name.  skos:narrower seems the more ambiguous when subClassOf,
subPropertyOf have become the established norm.  :genie :out :bottle, as
it were :-)

Ian