Re: SKOS Core review Re: issue: non-Literal "comment" properties Re: new draft of SKOS Core guide

At 01:33 PM 2/18/2005 -0500, Dan Brickley wrote:
>> I'm happy to drop rdfs:comment as a super-prop for all 'documentation properties'
>> - I think this has to be done for the reasons you describe.
>
>OK. Let's do that.

I support this approach.  The semantics of the 8 SKOS Core documentation
properties are too nice to dilute by restricting the range to rdfs:Literal.

> Though note that this'll cost us in the case of those scenarios
>which do shadow rdfs:comment usage, ie. search/browse tools based on
>label/comment won't see SKOS labels.

Right.  I think that's too bad, but it's the right trade-off.  An individual resource
might have multiple SKOS documentation properties.  Should a generic
RDF browser choose one, append them all, halt and catch fire?  I don't
like any of those choices.

> Maybe that's OK since generic RDF
>vocab browsers will be structured in terms of classes and properties
>anyway, rather than networks of concept-descriptions. So some rejigging
>is going to have to happen regardless of property name for the text
>labels.

I'd hope that a generic RDF vocab browser would support data-driven
views such that it could be user-trained (or Web-trained) to know what
to do with, e.g. skos:definition vs. skos:historyNote.

>> > Thoughts? I'm a little concerned w/ referencing the non-WD core spec
>> > from a WD. How much more work do you reckon there is on the main doc,
>> > Alistair?

I have become more than a little concerned with the references from
the Guide to the Spec as I've been doing due-diligence on the request
to publish the Guide as a Working Draft.  I think that any reasonable
reviewer of the Guide will want to follow the references to the Spec.
If the Spec is not ready to be published for whatever reason then
I no longer think the WG should be requesting to publish the Guide
independently.

>> I was thinking that the SKOS Core Spec [1] is pretty much ready to go,
>> waiting on comments from Tom & Mark & yourself esp. re the 'policies'
>> section I added last week.  Aiming to propose the SKOS Core Spec for
>> first WD at the SWBP-WG telecon next thursday (24th feb), which depends on
>> approval by Tom and Mark by tuesday/wednesday if they are willing to give it.
>
>If it is ready to go, should we hold off on the Guide and have the two
>go out together, cross-referenced? Or can we just put a redirect in? I
>think a "first working draft" is an attention-capturing event, people
>will print it out, think about it, etc. Do we want them to consider both
>docs at same time?

The Guide does need to change in a minor way if the TF and WG
concur with dropping rdfs:comment from the superclass hierarchy
of the documentation properties.  The TextArt figure in
http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core/guide/2005-02-15#secdocumentation
needs to be corrected.  That might not need to hold up publication,
but combined with other process questions I think we should wait
and publish the two documents simultaneously.  I believe the first
Working Draft event will get far better reception in the public if it is
complete (both documents) rather than done in two stages.