RE: What about "taxonomies"? RE: Glossary of terms relating to thesauri and faceted classification

Not sure I'm entirely happy with all this:

1. "...glossaries and other types of controlled vocabularies.." Sorry,
but lots (perhaps most) of glossaries are not controlled vocabularies.
Lots of glossaries give more than one definition for the same term,
especially when they are multilingual. Better to drop the mention of
glossaries, in my view.

2. I agree subject heading lists are more like systems than schemes.

3. Would it be possible to put in ", some taxonomies," instead of just
", taxonomies," since we are having such difficulty in agreeing a
definition for them?

4. Anyway, I don't like Leonard's narrow definition of taxonomy,
limiting it to monohierarchical. I'd go along with one narrow
definition, limiting it to the Linnaean style of taxonomy, which does
happen to be monohierarchical but applies only to species, genera and
other taxa of organisms. As soon as you move outward from that, it's
useful to embrace polyhierarchy as an option. But we do need to spend
further time agreeing a definition, hopefully one that will be *useful*
to the community of electronic information users.

All the best
Stella

Stella Dextre Clarke
Information Consultant
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, Oxon, OX12 8RR, UK
Tel: 01235-833-298
Fax: 01235-863-298
SDClarke@LukeHouse.demon.co.uk