Re: What about "taxonomies"? RE: Glossary of terms relating to thesauri and faceted classification

From: Thomas Baker <thomas.baker@bi.fhg.de>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 13:35:53 +0100
To: Leonard Will <L.Will@willpowerinfo.co.uk>
Cc: SKOS <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 08:47:08PM +0000, Leonard Will wrote:
> >A 'conceptual scheme' or 'concept scheme' is defined here as: a set of
> >concepts, optionally including statements about semantic relationships
> >between those concepts. Thesauri, classification schemes, subject
> >heading schemes, terminologies, glossaries and other types of
> >controlled vocabularies are all examples of conceptual schemes.
> >
> >How does that sound?
>
> It sounds fine to me, and as nobody has raised serious objections I have
> added it to the glossary at
> <http://www.willpowerinfo.co.uk/glossary.htm>. I hope that is OK.

Personally, if I were King of the Forest, I would ban the word
"scheme".  For one thing, it is simply too close to "schema",
which is almost as bad, and in overlapping but nonetheless
different ways.  At a minimum, we must acknowledge that
in practice, people get them confused all the time, myself
included.

Assuming we have to use "scheme"...:

-- I like Aida's suggestion for "subject heading systems".

-- In http://www.willpowerinfo.co.uk/glossary.htm, there is no
   definition of "scheme" itself, though there is (analogously)
   a definition for "schedule" (which, however, I would have
   expected to read "a SET of terms...").

> I think you have to call it a "concept scheme" rather than a "conceptual
> scheme", because the latter form makes it sound as though it is not a
> real scheme, just a conceptual one . . .

-- Yes.  I had been vaguely uneasy with the notion that
   "concept" or "conceptual" could be used interchangeably
   here, and this comment puts the finger on why.  I would
   also prefer just "concept scheme" (assuming "scheme"
   is used at all).

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                        Thomas.Baker@izb.fraunhofer.de
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven         mobile +49-160-9664-2129