RE: Indirection

... And (having given this another 15 minutes of thoughts and a fag break) I am almost certain that, when the creators of a thesaurus include a descriptor such as 'People', they intend that term to denote *both* an abstract concept *and* a class of things which they believe to exist in 'the real world'.  Simililarly, when they include a descriptor such as 'Economic co-operation' they intend that term to denote both an abstract concept *and* a class of processes which they believe to be occurring in 'the real world'.  And again, a descriptor such as 'King Henry VIII' denotes *both* an abstract concept of a person that once lived, and the actual person they believe to have once existed.

I reckon that thesaurus creators and users make no kind of metaphysical or existential divide between the two layers of abstraction we are talking about.

And that means, if we are to faithfully model a thesaurus as a set of 'resources' (in the RDF sense), then each thesaurus 'resource' may have both a 'conceptual' and a 'real' aspect.

Then the role of SKOS Core becomes to allow you to make statements about the 'conceptual aspect' of a resource, without excluding the possibility that the same resource also has a 'real' or 'concrete' aspect.

I'm thinking that it is both unreasonable and impractical to ask a user of a thesaurus to use one set of URIs to denote the 'conceptual' entities, and another set to denote the 'real' ones (although I'm sure there will be situations where this is desirable, but I expect them to be very much in the minority).

That's it for the moment.

Cheers,

Al.

---