RE: [PORT] skos planning

Miles - I've been staying out of this a bit, but I wonder if I could
push a more aggressive stance on your part.... sometimes one of my
students takes forever getting a journal paper submitting - they keep
waiting to get it "just right" before sending it, and eventually I
have to step in and say "send it now" -- I sort of feel like that
with SKOS -- there's a big and very important community interested in
using this very important technology -- I think getting it out
sooner, and fixing it later, is an option to consider.
  In this spirit let me make the following suggested ammendment to
your proposal - continue through Jan 31 as planned, but if there is
an extension, the DO (don't discuss) a LC version of SKOS (core and
vocab) by end of Feb,  This will allow tie for review of the LC and a
document able to move forward to a recommendation in this WG or
elsewhere.
  I think SKOS is too important to keep trying to nail down all the
details in too many ways -- and SKOS could be a major boom for the SW
community - imagine, we could have some of the world's largest
libraries releasing major thesauri in such a way that each concept
has a URI that we could use in our schemas and ontology (and link
back to their online sources) - this is simply too rich a vein not to
be mined, and speaking in my role as a W3C AC member, I, and my
organization, encourage the SKOS group to move this to some rec track
venue asap.
  -Jim Hendler, MIND Lab
p.s. Those of you who are W3C members can see that I have been making
this same point as part of the W3C Sem Web Coordination Group, but
this message does not speak for the CG, just for my lab.

At 15:24 +0000 12/12/05, Miles, AJ \(Alistair\) wrote:
>Hi Mark,
>
>What I'm suggesting re planning for SKOS is that we focus on
>developing the SKOS Core proposals list [1], in its current form, up
>to Jan 31 2006, which is the scheduled end of the current WG
>charter.  If at Jan 31 2006, or sometime before then, we find out
>that the WG is getting a 2 month extension, then we can talk about
>scheduling a 3rd review, and at that time pick those items from the
>list that have good consensus for consideration at that review, in
>the same way we did for previuos reviews.  Whatever items remain
>open on the proposals list at the end of the current WG charter
>become input to the next WG charter.
>
>I.e. the inputs to the next WG are: the latest WD of the SKOS Core
>Guide and the SKOS Core Vocab Spec, and "open" items from the SKOS
>Core Proposals list.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Al.
>
>[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core/proposals

>[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core/proposals
>[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-swbp-skos-core-spec-20051102/#secChange

Professor James Hendler			  Director
Joint Institute for Knowledge Discovery	  	  301-405-2696
UMIACS, Univ of Maryland			  301-314-9734 (Fax)
College Park, MD 20742	 		  http://www.cs.umd.edu/~hendler
(New course: http://www.cs.umd.edu/~hendler/CMSC498w/)