RE: [PORT] solutions for collections-5

Hi all,

Regarding the collections-5 problem [1], there is another solution that *doesn't* involve rules (see below).

(N.B. this new solution and the three others at [2] assume that skos:Concept and skos:Collection *should be disjoint classes* - a position which I still support but haven't got around to properly arguing yet, and for which there has been some contention, see e.g. [3].)

This new solution (call it 'solution D') requires addition of a single new property called e.g. skos:viewByCollection.  E.g.:

people
.<people by age>
..children
..adults

... gets represented as:

eg:people a skos:Concept;
  skos:prefLabel 'people';
  skos:narrower eg:children;
  skos:narrower eg:adults;
  skos:viewByCollection [
    a skos:Collection;
    rdfs:label 'people by age';
    skos:member eg:children;
    skos:member eg:adults;
  ];
.

This solution models collections as *annotation* structures, i.e. as additional to the fundamental network of semantic relationships.

Collections can still of course be nested, e.g.:

chairs
.<chairs by form>
..armchairs
..sofas
..<chairs by form: back form>
...heart-back chairs
...oval-back chairs

... gets represented as:

eg:chairs a skos:Concept;
  skos:prefLabel 'chairs';
  skos:narrower eg:armchairs;
  skos:narrower eg:sofas;
  skos:narrower eg:heart-back_chairs;
  skos:narrower eg:oval-back_chairs;
  skos:viewBy [
    a skos:Collection;
    rdfs:label 'chairs by form';
    skos:member eg:armchairs;
    skos:member eg:sofas;
    skos:member [
      a skos:Collection;
      rdfs:label 'chairs by form: back form';
      skos:member eg:heart-back_chairs;
      skos:member eg:oval-back_chairs;
    ];
  ];
.

The drawback of this approach is that it is quite possible to express something nonsensical, e.g. to have a mix of semantic relations within a single collection.

Sorry, will explain this better in the new year.

Cheers,

Al.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core/proposals#collections-5
[2] http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/cvs-public/~checkout~/skos/drafts/collections-5.html?rev=1.2