Re: same as relation

Thank you Bernard, Mark and Miles for your great comments. Actually we
have dome some tests and workshops to relate different marine terms,
using three relations sameAs, narrowerThan and broaderThan (If we had
known about skos/mapping by then, we would probably be using the
resources define in skos/mapping).

We had a workshop, where scientist and IT guys met for three days and
tried to relate marine terms, for the purpose of discovering data ,
which is being tagged (metadata) with different terms. We converted
over 50 marine vocabularies to OWL (including Thesaurus like ASFA), and
we had some tools to map these vocabularies in a fast fashion.

Workshop details (Aug 2005) :
http://marinemetadata.org/examples/mmihostedwork/ontologieswork/
mmiworkshop05/
Example of mapping files are here:
http://marinemetadata.org/examples/mmihostedwork/ontologieswork/
ontologies/mappings.html
The tool used to relate terms: http://marinemetadata.org/vine
The tool use to create ontologies form ascii files :
http://marinemetadata.org/voc2owl

We are very interested in following up  skos activities, and update our
tools to provide support for the schemas developed here.

Also, one of our problems is mapping graphs. Let me explain more:

A very popular thesurus-type vocabulary to tagged scientific data is
GCMD: http://gcmd.nasa.gov/Resources/valids/gcmd_parameters.html. A
data set can be tagged as :
	 EARTH SCIENCE > Agriculture > Agricultural Chemicals > Fertilizers

Other categorizations of science keywords follow a similar approach. We
would like to keep each term as a separate concept, but being able to
get all the tree of concepts and map them to another tree of concepts.
Is this a requirement type or a crazy idea ?

Luis