[PORT] skos planning

From: Miles, AJ \(Alistair\) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 19:49:29 -0000
To: <public-esw-thes@w3.org>
Cc: <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>

Hi all,

The current timeline for the SWBPD-WG has the charter expiring on 31 Jan 2006.  The WG may get a charter extension for 1 or 2 (or possibly more?)months.

The hints I've had from WG chairs give a strong indication that a new WG will be chartered after the SWBPD-WG, and will include continued SKOS work as part of the charter, probably as a W3C recommendation track work item.  At the recent face-to-face meeting in Galway I argued for a working group that had as its core mission the continued work of the PORT, OEP and VM task forces, rather than a 'SKOS-only' WG, as I believe there are strong dependencies between these work areas, with a lot of valuable work still to do.

There are a number of current issues and proposals for SKOS Core, and I would like to address these as soon as possible.  However, I think the current proposals need some further development to reach good consensus.  Also, third public working drafts for SKOS Core Guide and Vocab Spec before Jan 31 2006 is a very tight timeline.  I'd rather focus our energy over the next 2-3 months on developing a clearly documented and well-discussed set of issues and proposals, to act as input to development of a new WG charter in the new year, and as a basis for a possible W3C Recommendation track work item.

If the current SWBPD-WG does get a 1 or 2 month charter extension in the new year, we can then of course consider implementing those proposals with good consensus in a third Working Draft publication iteration.

How does this sound?  Does this fit with other SWBP-WG planning?

---
Alistair Miles
Research Associate
CCLRC - Rutherford Appleton Laboratory