RE: notes at concepts vs notes at terms

Hi Al et al

We have examples of non-preferred terms (non-descriptors) which have scope notes. These are mainly used to give guidance as to which preferred term (descriptor) to use eg.

Grinding Mill                                      N
Use GRINDING HOUSE for a place material is crushed and GRINDERY for a place where metal objects are sharpened.

In all our thesauri we have about 730 instances of non-preferred terms which have scope notes.

As far as I'm aware the British standard does not stipulate that you cannot attach a scope note to a non-preferred term.
Unfortunately none of these scope notes appear on the web version of our thesauri which is a shame but I can supply pdf examples if anyone wants to view them.

Phil

Phil Carlisle
Data Standards Supervisor
National Monuments Record Centre
Kemble Drive
Swindon
SN2 2GZ
+44 (0)1793 414824

The information contained within this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee only. If you have received the e-mail in error, please inform the sender and delete it from your system. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed to anyone else or copied without the sender's consent.

Any views and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of English Heritage. English Heritage will not take any responsibility for the views of the author.