RE: [proposal] skos:denotes - a use case?

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:11:32 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Miles, AJ (Alistair) " <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Cc: public-esw-thes@w3.org

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Miles, AJ (Alistair)  wrote:

>Nice use case.
>
>But don't you want to use 'skos-map:exactMatch' for this?

That feels a bit like declaring things about their vocabulary. If I say that
my:A skosM:exactMatch their:B and their:C then the explanation is that you
can substitute one for the other. This is transitive, so I am saying you can
substitute B for C in queries and statements.

Whereas if I have skos:denotes to say they describe something that has an
unspecified sameness, but doesn't authorise direct substitution, then I can
describe queries that should work across skos:denotes relations (one by one
if I choose to differentiate things that don't make sense across the two
models), without merging the two graphs.

cheers

Chaals