RE: [Proposal][SKOS-Core] Some extensions around dc:subject

From: Miles, AJ (Alistair) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:02:28 +0100
To: 'Charles McCathieNevile' <charles@w3.org>, Morten Frederiksen <mof-rdf@mfd-consult.dk>
Cc: "'public-esw-thes@w3.org'" <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

> >/me thinks in passing about using a skos:Concept as the object of
> >foaf:depicts...

btw. from the thesaurus users point of view, allowing a concept to have
'depictions' is a good thing, as a depiction can be part of describing the
meaning of a concept.

So I was intending that the upcoming SKOS Core guide will have examples of
how to use 'foaf:depiction' with a 'skos:Concept' as the subject of the
statement.  (Which obviously fits with a scenario in which 'foaf:depicts' is
used with a 'skos:Concept' as the object of the statement, as part of a
description of an image.)

> You can do the inverse already, using skos:symbol or
> something with a similar
> name. I would have to check, but I suspect you can also use
> skos:example to
> do the inverse (this might be a more clearly inverse relation).

N.B. the idea behind 'skos:prefSymbol' and 'skos:altSymbol' is that these
are used to point to *symbolic labels* for concepts ... which is a different
thing from *depictions* of concepts (because a symbolic label may not
necessarily depict the concept it represents).