RE: subject indicators ... ?

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:29:11 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Miles, AJ (Alistair) " <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Cc: 'Bernard Vatant' <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>, public-esw-thes@w3.org

The idea is something like a "definedBy" property, except that it means
"definedBy" in a human-readable sense, right?

I agree with Bernard that there is a problem in making it an IFP, which is a
bit like the one that can arise if foaf:homepage is an IFP.  If two people
work for the same organisation, and co-own it, that doesn't normally mean
they are the same person. Likewise if Bernard uses a particular piece of my
writing as an explanation of "a bad idea" and I use it as an explanation of
"a good idea", we risk running into problems, because we would be obliged to
consider the concepts as the same.

foaf:mbox works more often because it generally matches the real world where
one person has one email address. But that isn't always true - there are
plenty of people with no email address, and for many years I have had shared
email addresses - which for people I shared with were often their only one.

Concepts are harder to pin down, I think. So I would stick to the less
precise world of having definitions and examples - a definition might be an
IFP. Or might not...

cheers

Chaals