RE: search labels

I think there is a case for both situations.

It is possible that you want terms to be "hidden" but you don't
want them described as alternate labels in your thesaurus.  For
example, incorporating terms from other thesaurus that you want to
lead someone to the appropriate term in your thesaurus.  However,
the terms are not authorized in your thesaurus as alternate
labels for policy reasons.  You are using these terms for searching
and indexing purposes.  This is how, I think, Miles viewed it.

In the other case, you may want to have alternate labels that are
authorized, but don't wish those to show up in the display of
the thesaurus.

This might suggest an alternate property hierarchy

rdfs:label
    skos:displayLabel
        skos:prefLabel
        skos:altLabel