RE: subject indicators ... ?

Carl

> Perhaps as a placekeeper you should just use PublishedSubjectIndicator and
> give the OASIS folks the luxury of defining / defending that paradigm (it
> is NOT easy).

As said before, the "OASIS folks" have somehow been stuck for quite a time now in this
"luxury work",due to several reasons including lack of task force, lack of support of
major sponsors for this activity, and lack of consensus on what we wanted to achieve. Lars
Marius Garshol, who has been one important actor in the Published Subjects committee, with
whom I often friendly disagreed, and even sometimes agreed (hi Lars)jumped lately in this
forum and will correct me if I am wrong.

It is a good thing to see other communities following up on this crucial issue of
interoperable concept identification, and grab the concept of subject indicator.

That said, if you really think that it makes sense to integrate the original topic map
concept in SKOS, why not use the same name from the property that in the XTM namespace,
that is exactly "subjectIndicatorRef", and declare it to be an (exact?) match of this
property, that is :

skos:subjectIndicatorRef  skos-map:exactMatch  xtm:subjectIndicatorRef

where xtm stands for the XTM namespace http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/

Maybe it's too strong a commitment. I guess Lars Marius will soon comment on that :))

Cheers

Bernard

Bernard Vatant
Senior Consultant