candidate and deprecated concepts

From: Miles, AJ (Alistair) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 14:01:44 +0100
To: "'public-esw-thes@w3.org'" <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

Hi all,

Am just thinking on change management for a section in the guide...

The paradigm (as I understand it) in the thesaurus world is for terms (or
concepts) to go through three stages: candidate, accepted, deprecated (i.e.
replaced).

Is this correct?  If this is correct, there is no pre-existing RDF vocab
that I know of to capture these stages ... So should we add something to
SKOS Core?

(There is 'owl:DeprecatedClass' and 'owl:DeprecatedProperty', but these
don't seem right as types for a skos:Concept.  Also there is
'vm:term_status', with expected values 'unstable' 'testing' and 'stable',
which seems a finer grained way of describing the transition from
'candidate' to 'accepted'.)

We can use dcterms:replaces and dcterms:isReplacedBy to describe concept
replacements I think (although how to handle replacement with combinations
is uncertain yet).

Al.

---
Alistair Miles