Re: Options for ordered/labelled collections

Hi Al,

I haven't thought about this deeply enough to pretend I have the right
answers, this is all just opinion.

As far as I can see you are already proposing to define the interaction
between skos:Collection and skos:narrower etc in the form of inference
rules. So in that case I would be inclined to to define skos:member as
something that is inferrable so that the duplication is not required
(but not banned either).

 > (1) Should we remove the 'skos:member' property from this proposal?

It would be inclined to leave it in. And define an inference rule for
deriving it:

   (?collection skos:memberList ?l), elementOfList(?e, ?l) ->
             (?collection skos:member ?e)

Where the predicate elementOfList does the obvious thing.
[At the moment Jena rules don't support anything like elementOfList
cleanly enough to do this - for an actual implementation you would use
the listMapAsObject builtin but the implementation shouldn't sully the
spec.]

That way the duplication is not required in the source data but can
optionally be added and in any case processing tools can assume that it
is derivable.

 > (2) If we do remove 'skos:member', how should we express the fact that a
 > collection is ordered or not?

In any case I think that should be done by having an OrderedCollection
class (as a subclass of Collection) or something similar. If you don't
do this then the open world assumption bites (you can't infer that a
Collection without a memberList is unordered because you might just have
not found the memberList triples yet). Most of skos processing is
probably closed-world anyway so this is not a practical issue but it
seems slightly nicer to not have the specs overtly dependent on
closed-world reasoning where they don't have to be.

 > (3) Is there value in the 'skos:CollectableProperty' suggestion?

Seems reasonable to me at first glance but I haven't thought about it
deeply.

Cheers,
Dave