RE: URIs and intellectual property

From: Miles, AJ (Alistair) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:38:27 -0000
To: "'public-esw-thes@w3.org'" <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

Hi Carl,

> I acknowledge that publishers may have these fears and would
> like them to
> understand that the indirect approach provides an opportunity to
> strengthen their position as an authority and promote their IP rights.

Actually I strongly disagree with this.

The method of identification (direct or indirect) is completely orthogonal
to the issue of copyright or intellectual property.

Compare referring to a book (directly) via its ISBN number, and referring to
it (indirectly) via the combination of it's title and author.

Al.