Re: SKOS dodges the identity crisis?

From: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:22:02 -0500 (EST)
To: "Miles, AJ (Alistair)" <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
cc: "'www-rdf-interest@w3.org'" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, "'public-esw-thes@w3.org'" <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

Al et al.,
	While I think the characterization of the concept is good, as the
URIs do actually *are* a description of a concept. However, where the use
value of a URI for a concept is because the concept itself, not a
particular description of the concept, is denoted by the URI. The key
issue in my mind here is interoperability - so you *can* of course use
any URI to denote any concept or description of a concept you want in your
RDF theoretically (I mean, I can make an RDF statement saying http://www.google.com denotes the
string "green cheese", and can create my own URI  http://www.example.com/green
cheese which I say denotes "google"!) and you  can give them separate URIs
 - but what does that buy you? It seems that's what people want to know is
that if I have URIA and you have URIB, does URIA denote the same thing as
URIB - and feel free to replace URIB and URIA with the words "metadata
about URIX". Henry and I's analysis believes a sort of "equivalence class"
or statistical approximation of an equivalence (it's 80 percent likely URIA
denotes the same thing as URIB) created either by hand of via a search
engine is the way to go, thus Web Proper Names.

http://www.webpropernames.org/paper/

			Cheers,
				Harry

--