RE: [PORT] Subject Indicators

From: Miles, AJ (Alistair) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:42:56 -0000
To: 'Steve Pepper' <pepper@ontopia.net>
Cc: SWBPD list <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>, "'public-esw-thes@w3.org'" <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

Hi Steve,

> I haven't had time to study the SKOS spec yet, but I
> know that you have a property for subjectIndicator in
> there.
>
> I just want to give you a heads-up that my current
> thinking is that having a special property may not be
> the optimal way of adding subject indicators (and hence
> Published Subjects) to RDF. I am tending toward the idea
> that a *class* defining the concept of "information
> resource" (as a subclass of "resource") may be a better
> way to go.

Am most interested to hear your ideas on this.

Without knowing any more detail about your current thinking than what you
said above: the idea of defining the class of 'information resources' sounds
like a good idea ... but that doesn't address the issue of how to identify
non-inforesources.  Do you think it is OK to allocate URIs directly to
non-inforesources?  Or do you think we should always identify
non-inforesources indirectly (e.g. as described in [1])?

Yours,

Al.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/webarch/#indirect-identification