FW: FW: vision for controlled vocabulary use and management

Fwded from Dagobert ...

-----Original Message-----
From: Dagobert Soergel [mailto:dsoergel@umd.edu]
Sent: 23 October 2004 04:01
To: Miles, AJ (Alistair)
Subject: Re: FW: vision for controlled vocabulary use and management

(1) I agree with you entirely.  Information retrieval (or resource
discovery) is to a large extent about enabling the user to improve his or
her understanding of subjects, topics, issues, contexts that are a defined
in terms of concepts, it is to a large extent to help users create
meaning.  Consequently, thesauri and other knowledge organization systems
(KOS) need to be based on concepts and furthermore present these concepts
in a meaningful arrangement.  The semantic Web is by its very definition
about concepts, it needs well-structured, well-defined concept systems
called ontologies.  Ideally, concept-based KOS will serve both for human
information processing and for machine information processing.  This
thought is, of course, not new; what is significant that it seems adapted
and acted on more broadly.

On the other hand, human thought and language are very complex, and a pure
concept-based approach may not capture all the nuances of
language.  Therefore, the model outlined in
http://jodi.ecs.soton.ac.uk/Articles/v04/i04/Soergel/ is primarily
concept-based and links terms to concepts but also allows for treating
terms as entities in their own right that can enter into relationships with
other terms; these relationships complement the concept-concept and
concept-term relationships.  Finally, at the level of concept expression
for human readers and programs for language processing we have strings, a
term being expressed by one or more strings.  Since concepts and language
are inextricably linked, we need a structure of sufficient complexity.

(2) Much search is based on free-text searching (or on automatically
detectable image features in image retrieval; in that environment, limited
concept-based search can be accomplished through query expansion supported
by a KOS.  In high-payoff situations, sophisticated indexing pays of.  Such
indexing, whether by people, computer programs (yes, computer programs can
do concept-oriented indexing, particularly when supported by a rich KOS as
a knowledge base), or human-computer collaboration, should always be
concept-based.  There are many advantages to record concepts by  concept
identifiers, preferable URIs, in the indexing record: The terms displayed
to the user can be adapted to the user's language and to current
usage.  When the user clicks on the surface term concept, the system can
use the underlying URI to quickly link to the specific record in a KOS
where more information on the concept can be found.  But again, users also
need to be supported in understanding natural language terms, particularly
if they read in a foreign language, and a good system for the retrieval and
reading of documents would have a function that accesses multiple KOS on
the Web to find such explanations.

(3) is desirable in principle but a bit more problematic.  In a system
where concepts are defined axiomatically (as in a system that supports
automatic reasoning) a change in definition certainly creates a new concept
that should get a new URI.  The new concept should be properly related to
the old concept, and the old concept should be marked as no longer used in
the system at hand (which would not stop some other system from using
it).  But consider he case of concepts defined for the purpose of gathering
and reporting statistics, such as the definition of a branch of industry.
or the Consumer Price Index or what constitutes poverty.  A minor change in
wording may be introduced to clarify, not change, the meaning.  Do we have
a new concept?  Or the definition could be changed more or less
drastically, definitely creating a new concept.  The old concept would
still be needed to understand historical statistics.  This clearly requires
fairly elaborate version control.

So, in sum, a concept-oriented approach will go a long way to improve
information retrieval and processing by people and machines.

Dagobert

At 10/8/2004 11:14 AM, you wrote:
>Hi Dagobert,
>
>Would you be able to comment on this, for the public-esw-thes@w3.org
mailing
>list? ...

SKOS
>Core to be where the thesaurus user community will arrive in perhaps a
>couple of years, so that it fits the requirements.  However, this may be at
>least in part unrealistic.  Bridging the space between the current users of
>controlled vocabularies and the framework of the semantic web is what I see
>as the central goal of the SKOS work ... which may require a little more
>meeting in the middle ... ?
>
>Anyway, food for thought.
>
>Al.
>
>[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2004Oct/0048.html
>
>---
>Alistair Miles
>Research Associate
>CCLRC - Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
>Building R1 Room 1.60
>Fermi Avenue
>Chilton
>Didcot
>Oxfordshire OX11 0QX
>United Kingdom
>Email:        a.j.miles@rl.ac.uk
>Tel: +44 (0)1235 445440

Dagobert Soergel
College of Information Studies
University of Maryland
4105 Hornbake Library
College Park, MD 20742-4345
Office: 301-405-2037     Home:  703-823-2840        Mobile: 703-585-2840
OFax:   301-314-9145        HFax: 703-823-6427
dsoergel@umd.edu     www.dsoergel.com