A question of facets

From: Miles, AJ (Alistair) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 19:32:02 +0100
To: "'public-esw-thes@w3.org'" <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

Just to respond to Andy's mail about facets: I'm going to resist the
introduction of anything with the name 'facet' into the SKOS-Core schema,
because the word 'facet' has become too overloaded (see earlier mail [1] and
subsequent discussion [2]).

The basic problem faced by the community of people involved in thesaurus
development and classification as I have experienced it is an overloading of
functional terminology, leading to people talking at cross-purposes.  Hence
I have always put a lot of thought into the naming and the description of
the SKOS-Core schema classes and properties, in an effort to reduce the
possibility for ambiguity and confusion to an absolute minimum.

Al.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2004Mar/0066.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2004Mar/

---