Re: Low level API

Nikki,

1) Oops. I guess the getConceptRelativesByPath didn't register with me when
I was working my way through the API, since it returns only an array of
Concepts, which (as you point out) doesn't help much since there is no
indication of distance or structure. I'm intrigued by your notion of
supporting another XML format (which I wonder?) and will stayed tuned for
further updates...

2) As for the use cases, Dan Brickley wrote :
>I doubt we can specify the human-readable offerings of thesaurus
>providers in such detail, beyond noting best practice conventions and
>common useful UI conventions. What we can do, though, is take these
>as use cases for evaluating the _machine_ interface defined in the SKOS
>API. We can ask ourselves whether such a UI could be built against
>any/all SKOS servers that meet the API. This opens up the prospect of
>write-once, re-use elsewhere thesaurus browsing tools...

Dan's first point, about specifying the human-readable offerings of
thesaurus providers is not a problem, that's been done (and is being
revised) in the appropriate national and international standards and in
best practices. What I was trying to help do was what Dan was suggesting in
his second point, that is, evaluating the appropriateness of the SKOS API
for building some of those common UIs. My comments are not intended as a
criticism of your work, this is complex stuff,  but I think there have been
a number of problem areas mentioned where the machine interface is not yet
up to this task.

IMHO this is (or should be) an important issue for SWAD, because it will
affect adoption of the SKOS API. If thesaurus publishers have to support
one API to interact with the Semantic Web, and another interface to
interact with fully functioned thesaurus clients, then they will be
inclined to implement _neither_. Having a single interface that will
support a reasonably complete set of functionality (and there is a huge
overlap) means everyone wins. For one thing, the API would be a machine
interface that those national and international thesaurus standards (now in
the process of being revised) would be able to endorse.

Ron
Ron Davies
Information and documentation systems consultant
Av. Baden-Powell 1  Bte 2, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Email:  ron@rondavies.be
Tel:    +32 (0)2 770 33 51
GSM:    +32 (0)484 502 393