RE: Supporting arrays of concepts : node labels

Firstly, a note of support for Leonard's very thorough explanation of
node labels.

Secondly, re the alternative representations proposed by Alistair and
David Menendez, I'm not quite sure what will work best. I like the way
the array relationships are "semi-detached" from the relationships
between concepts, and I'm glad to see a proposal that allows systematic
rather than alphabetical sequence. To decide which representation is
best, perhaps we should consider how the node labels and arrays will be
used, and what functions need to be supported. I don't see much use for
them in the direct process of information retrieval, but they are useful
during thesaurus browse, when they should facilitate displays of
portions of a thesaurus. A meaningful grouping of terms helps people
choose the right term, either while indexing or while searching. They
are also useful during the process of building a thesaurus.

Stella

Stella Dextre Clarke
Information Consultant
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, Oxon, OX12 8RR, UK
Tel: 01235-833-298
Fax: 01235-863-298
SDClarke@LukeHouse.demon.co.uk