RE: faceted classification

From: Miles, AJ (Alistair) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:31:08 -0000
To: "'danny666@virgilio.it'" <danny666@virgilio.it>
Cc: "'public-esw-thes@w3.org'" <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

> Hi Alistair, folks,
> fyi, there's a 'vanilla' XML format for facetted
> classification with the
> obvious acronym XFML [1]. It's primarily aimed at web site
> data (such as
> blogs). The model/syntax is close to parts of Topic Maps/XTM, and
> considers facets to be mutually exclusive categories, which may form
> part of a hierarchical classification.
> I'm pointing to it now because there are some good refs on
> facets around
> that area [2], and I've a feeling facetting may be a very
> powerful tool
> in the SKOS kit. Also I'm wondering whether some of the data
> that's been
> marked up in XFML could be automatically translated into

Hi Danny, thanks for the refs on this.

It seems to me that data in XFML can go straight into RDF, using the
constructs of RDFS (and a bit of OWL) only.  E.g. I modelled the detergents
example from [1] using RDFS - see:
<http://www.w3c.rl.ac.uk/SWAD/rdf/facet_in_rdfs.txt>.  This approach is also
what the Siderean folks do [2] and what Nikki was suggesting this morning
[3].  I.e. a 'facet' in the XFML sense can be modelled as a rdf:Property
with a defined domain and range.

At the moment I'm trying to manage SKOS so it doesn't duplicate anything
that can already be modelled with RDFS or OWL - these three vocabularies
ought to be complementary.  Which is why I'm so keen to clear up the 'facet'

Maybe someone should sit down and write a white paper on how to do 'faceted
classification' to support web catalogue browsing using RDF, RDFS and OWL
(including some XSLT to generate RDF from XFML)???

[1] http://www.miskatonic.org/library/facet-web-howto.html
[2] http://www.siderean.com/TechnologyWhitePaper.pdf
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2004Mar/0070.html