Re: faceted classification

From: Danny Ayers <danny666@virgilio.it>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:17:33 +0100
To: "Miles, AJ (Alistair) " <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Cc: "'public-esw-thes@w3.org'" <public-esw-thes@w3.org>, bpa33@bpallen.com

Hi Alistair, folks,

fyi, there's a 'vanilla' XML format for facetted classification with the
obvious acronym XFML [1]. It's primarily aimed at web site data (such as
blogs). The model/syntax is close to parts of Topic Maps/XTM, and
considers facets to be mutually exclusive categories, which may form
part of a hierarchical classification.

I'm pointing to it now because there are some good refs on facets around
that area [2], and I've a feeling facetting may be a very powerful tool
in the SKOS kit. Also I'm wondering whether some of the data that's been
marked up in XFML could be automatically translated into SKOS/RDF. That
the format yields well to XSLT is demonstrated at [3] - view source.

btw, XFML doesn't really have a mechanism for enforcing the mutual
exclusion, it's assumes the cataloguer will look after that.

Note too that Siderean Software have done a fair amount of work with
facetted classification and RDF [4].

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://xfml.org/