First completed draft of SKOS-Core 1.0 guide and schema

From: Miles, AJ (Alistair) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:58:01 -0000
To: "Dave Beckett (E-mail)" <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>, "Nikki Rogers (E-mail)" <Nikki.Rogers@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: "'public-esw-thes@w3.org'" <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

Hi guys,

A first completed draft of the guide is up now:

http://www.w3c.rl.ac.uk/SWAD/skos/1.0/guide/draft01.html

And the schema:

http://www.w3c.rl.ac.uk/SWAD/skos/1.0/schema/skos_core_1_0.rdf

I made some decisions:

1.  I put a section on 'faceted organisation' into the guide.  However, I
decided the word 'facet' meant too many different things to too many
different people to be useful as a name for the class in the schema.  So the
class in the schema is called 'PrimitiveClass' and the properties are called
'primitiveType' and 'primitiveInstance'.  I thought these names reflected
much better how we intend them to be used.

2.  I dropped the 'skos:relatedSymmetric' property.  I realised that we'd
been a bit at cross purposes over this.  In a nutshell: althought the actual
underlying nature of a relationship that has been captured as 'related' may
not be symmetric (e.g. cause/effect, process/product), we still always want
to infer that [if (a related b) then (b related a)].  I.e. the
'skos:related' property should be symmetric, but extensions (sub-properties)
may or may not be (e.g. the skos:relatedPartOf/skos:relatedHasPart property
pair is an extension of skos:related that captures an asymmetric underlying
relationship).

That's about it I think.

Al.

---