merging and mapping

From: Miles, AJ (Alistair) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:29:03 -0000
To: public-esw-thes@w3.org

Just a thought on this ...

> Chaals raises the issue of merging different vocabularies. I
> think that
> that is a different issue and raises many other
> complications, but as he
> says the extra verification or disambiguation step that I
> have described
> above applies there too.  As the present SKOS draft doesn't cover
> questions of mapping between vocabularies, I think we should
> keep it to
> what is necessary and desirable for a single vocabulary.

 I think 'merging' and 'mapping' are completely different scenarios.  In
mapping, the schemes are kept separate, and linked via mapping statements.
In merging, a new scheme is created by combining concepts from different
sources.

It's worth considering the situations where separate groups of people (part
of a larger community) are responsible for contributing concepts as part of
a larger scheme.  In this scenario we may expect to find overlap of labels.

Al.