unique prefLabels?

From: Miles, AJ (Alistair) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:57:09 -0000
To: "'public-esw-thes@w3.org'" <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

Leonard wrote:
[Quote from SKOS-Core guide]
"To help other people unambiguously refer to your concepts without having to
use URIs, it is strongly recommended that no two concepts in your scheme be
given the same preferred label."

>I would say "essential" rather than "strongly recommended".

I know that traditional thesaurus practise demands that all preferred labels
be unique within a scheme.  But Chaals argued for relaxing this in SKOS
(e.g. see [1]), and I think he has an interesting point.  Hence the phrase
'strongly recommended' rather than 'essential'.

Anybody else have any ideas on this?

Al.

[1] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2004Feb/0028.html>

---