Re: Difference between dc:subject and foaf:topic

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:34:00 -0500 (EST)
To: Libby Miller <Libby.Miller@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: "Miles, AJ (Alistair) " <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>, "'public-esw-thes@w3.org'" <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

It isn't clear from that explanation what the difference is, since unless you
talk about the domain and range of foaf:topic it's hard to understand how
there is any.

The fact that foaf:topic has a defined domain of foaf:Document and a range of
rdf:Resource means that it's a bit more restricted than dc:subject which can
happily live with a literal value, but there doesn't seem to be much else
that can be used to pick between them (on my reading of the two sets of

If I was trying to define the way I see the web I would write somewhere that
foaf:topic seems to me like a subProperty of dc:subject. Being a believer in
living language, and in language as an attempt to provide identifiers for
concepts in such a way thhat we are convinced we mean the same thing, this
doesn't strike me as a bad thing to do. But since we are inventing RDF
vocabulary creation, it is something I would treat with care - especially
while we don't yet have good methods for dealing with conflicting statements,
including conflicting statements about how vocaublaries are defined.