Re: Thesaurus support in new W3C XQuery/Xpath Full-Text working drafts

From: Liam Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:34:32 -0400
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Cc: public-esw-thes@w3.org, massimo@w3.org

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 07:42:27AM -0400, Dan Brickley wrote:
> * Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org> [2004-07-17 06:45-0400]
> >
> > (see below for fwd'd announcement)
> >
> > Interesting. Two worlds of searchy stuff collide. More interesting still
> > is that they have explicit, if basic, support for thesauri.

Note that the Library of Congress is an active participant in the
XML Query full text work.

> > http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-xquery-full-text-20040709/#ftthesaurusoption
>
> related: http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=9776
> "Software AG's Tamino takes a 'semantic' step"

Software AG has also been very active (both Jonathan Robie and
Mike Kay have worked there at various times, and both are editors,
in the XQuery and XSLT Working Groups respectively -- the full text
is joint work between the two Working Groups)

> If anyone's checked out the thesaurus and text retrieval functions, a
> brief report here would be much appreciated.
Is there anything specific you want to know?

I have not heard any mention of RDF or OWL in this context, although
they've been mentioned within the XQuery WG in other contexts.

We're expecting XQuery implementations to work with existing text
retrieval software, and those are unlikely to make their proprietary
thesaurus data available any more than is absolutely necessary.
So for us it's a line item, "thesaurus enabled", and no more --
the thesaurus itself being beyond the bounds of the system.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/