RE: Cracking the nut: separating semantics and structure

OK, I'm NOT actually suggesting we actually add a property 'skos:partOf'.
There must be a property somewhere in some standard vocab that expresses at
a high level the 'part of' relationship between two things (i.e. 'wheel' is
a part of 'vehicle', 'bones' part of 'skeleton', apologies for naff examples
but I'm making this up as I go :) - which in turn could be extended into
'geographical part of' 'physical part of' 'logical part of' etc..

The dcterms:isPartOf property might be a candidate for this, which is
defined as follows: 'The described resource is a physical or logical part of
the referenced resource.' ?? [1]

The point is, in some thesauri the 'part of' relationships are part of the
hierarchy, and in others they are modelled as associative links between
concepts in different branches of the hierarchy.

So there are two types of information to convey.  The semantic relationship
between two concepts (i.e. instance-of, sub-class-of, part-of) and how you
want that relationship to be displayed as part of a structure (i.e.
hierarchical or associative).  So we split these apart using two sets of
high-level properties.  Extensions can then recombine these properties in
different ways to create properties that organise the same semantic
relationships differently (e.g. 'part of' as hierarchical or associative).
That was the idea.

It was also a way of linking the SKOS vocab to RDF and RDFS (first step
towards understanding interop and migration between thesauri and
ontologies).

Al.

[1] http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/