From: Miles, AJ (Alistair) [mailto:A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk]
Sent: 19 August 2004 18:20
To: 'Stella Dextre Clarke'; public-esw-thes@w3.org
Subject: RE: [Proposal][SKOS-Core] handling top concepts

> Not so much an objection as a puzzlement. Leonard's message
> of 7 August
> clarified that we thesaurus builders think of relationships
> as existing
> between terms or concepts rather than existing between
> concepts and the
> vocabularies that include the concepts. So if there is an attribute
> "hasTopConcept" we would expect that to be a way of expressing the
> widely used inter-term relationship called "Top Term" and abbreviated
> "TT".
>
> Example:
> 	Cattle
> 	  BT Mammals
> 	  TT Animals
> 	  NT Heifers

Hopefully potential confusion can be averted by some clear documentation
(I'm on it :)  Also, a SKOS validator will pick up misuse of the
skos:hasTopConcept property.

> Some thesauri have displays which present the whole thesaurus as a set

> of hierarchies under all the Top Terms present. (And the number of top

> terms is typically in the hundreds or more, unless very general top
> terms such as "Entities" and "Properties" are employed).  It is useful

> to be able to identify all the top terms in the thesaurus, so that you

> can easily present one of these displays. So I suppose you could say
> that the top terms were in some way attributes of the thesaurus.
> (Although I would normally think of them as content items rather than
> attributes) But I certainly don't see "having a top term (or concept)"

> as being a relationship between a scheme and a concept.

Maybe it would make more sense to think of a statement like 'concept A
is a top concept in scheme X'?  The statement 'schemeX
skos:hasTopConcept conceptA' says the same thing, but the other way
around.

> By the way, a scheme must have at least one term (concept) in it to
> exist at all, and that term, if alone, would be a top term (concept).
> In other words, no such thing as a scheme that has no top terms
> (concepts).

It is true that the skos:hasTopConcept property simply gives you a way
of explicitly stating something that could be inferred, if we could
operate under a closed world assumption.

But the semantic web is an open world, which means that 'topness' needs
to be stated explicitly.

[Btw the closed world assumption is this: if something is not stated, it
is
assumed to be false.  Logic experts - I did get that right didn't I?]

> Perhaps "relationship" means something different in the RDF world?
> Rather unlucky when that world meets the thesaurus world and we try to

> cross-communicate!

I think we've managed to understand each other pretty good so far :)

Al.