Re: [Proposal][SKOS-Core] Local (non-URI) identifiers for concepts

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 12:06:26 +0100 , "Miles, AJ (Alistair) " <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk> wrote:

> These proposals are in response to the requirements outlined in [1].
>
> (see also the wiki page <http://esw.w3.org/topic/SkosDev/SkosCore/LocalId>)
>
> 2 Proposal A
>
> I suggest to do the following ...
>
> 1.	Deprecated the skos:externalID property.

OK.  The name always confused me.  But I thought it was best practice
in the community.

> 2.	Add a new property skos:localId to replace skos:externalID.

One problem I have with this as for externalID is a 'l' (ell) and 'I'
(capital I) together, this is rife for user error. In some fonts they
can look identical.

I'd suggest localID - this is much more consistent with other RDF
property and syntax naming best practice (rdf:ID, rdf:nodeID,
rdf:bagID as was).

Or localName?

> 4 Proposal B
>
> I suggest something like the following to cope with requirement B ...
>
> The skos:localId property be used in conjunction with a blank node and two
> new properties (e.g. called something like skos:idScope and skos:idValue) as
> in the following example ...
>
>    <skos:Concept>
>       <skos:prefLabel>Penguins</skos:prefLabel>
>       <skos:inScheme rdf:resource="http://www.example.com/thesaurus"/>
>       <skos:localId rdf:parseType="Resource">
>          <skos:idValue>A8NH5</skos:idValue>
>          <skos:idScope rdf:resource="http://www.example.com/thesaurus"/>
>       </skos:localId>
>    </skos:Concept>

This is trying to invent global identifiers for strings, ie adding
a URI to qualify them.

The minmum you need to do this is an RDF datatype to give an RDF
datatype to the literal.  No need for new nodes, properties or triples:

  <skos:Concept>
     <skos:prefLabel>Penguins</skos:prefLabel>
     <skos:inScheme rdf:resource="http://www.example.com/thesaurus"/>
     <skos:localID rdf:datatype="http://example.org/id1">A8NH5</skos:localID>
     <skos:localID rdf:datatype="http://example.org/id2">ABCD</skos:localID>
  </skos:Concept>

which gives you two 'local' identifiers that can be distinguished.
The URIs are given here for examples but could either be tied to
the multiple thesaurus
 - maybe a new property from the skos:conceptScheme could list the
   supported local identifier URI
 - or just use the skos:conceptScheme URI as the type

You should also motivate the Proposal B by expanding it to match the
requirement which wants to
   "allow concepts to be a member of more than one concept-scheme"

My example above nearly does that, just add another skos:inScheme.

> So proposal B contains the following actions ...
>
> 1.	Add a new property called something like skos:idValue with domain
> rdf:Resource and range rdf:Literal.
> 2.	Add a new property called something like skos:idScope with domain
> rdf:Resource and range skos:ConceptScheme.
>

> Al.
>

> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2004Aug/0022.html

Dave