URI policy for thesaurus concepts

From: Miles, AJ (Alistair) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:08:00 +0100
To: "'public-esw-thes@w3.org'" <public-esw-thes@w3.org>
Cc: "'public-esw@w3.org'" <public-esw@w3.org>

On the basis of the previous discussion on URIs for concepts, I'm going to
offer the recommendation to thesaurus owners that they use http: based uris
without fragment identifiers as URIs for their concepts.

So for example:

GEMET thesaurus URI: http://www.eionet.eu.int/GEMET/[version]

GEMET concept URIs: http://www.eionet.eu.int/GEMET/[version]/[conceptID]

Reason for going with http: based URIs is it seems generally agreed that it
is desirable to have the concept URIs directly resolving to something.

Reason for going with / and not # is so that the concept ID is included in
an http GET request and not lost as it would be if it came after a #.

I.e. decision based on purely practical considerations.

Anybody want to shoot this down before I approach GEMET (& others) with
this?

Al.