Re: geo example

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:55:29 -0400
To: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
Cc: public-esw-thes@w3.org

* Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com> [2004-04-27 17:26+0200]

> Dan
>
> > http://dmoz.org/Regional/Europe/United_Kingdom/England/Bristol/ shows a
> > topic from open directory.
>
> Would you call this resource a "subject indicator", to use topic maps dialect?

I don't know enough about the detailed mysteries of topicmaps there, but
certainly this seems close. It is, colloqially, a subject or topic,
thought of a thing-in-itself, and distinct from both the thing(s) that
topic represents, and from documents and data representing either the
topic or the, er, subject of the topic.

I give up! this terminology is too overloaded to say anything ;)

Put another way... the "etc/England/Bristol/" node in the DMoz topic
graph (and its equiv in SKOS) are things that represent "the concept/idea of the
place Bristol", rather than representing Bristol directly. There is an
additional level of indirection compared to 'raw' RDF (and OWL).

> > I can imagine how this works in SKOS. And
> > how we might represent Bristol as a place in RDF. For discussion: how to
> > represent (to machines) the connection between these two worlds.
> >
> > We could easily redo the open directory (dmoz, see
> > http://dmoz.org/rdf.html)
> > in SKOS.
>
> As an on'n off ODP editor [1] I had proposed internally to have a look at integration of
> ODP in the SW framework.
> Not with a great feedback, actually. Remember that RDF dump of dmoz uses an old RDF
> format.

Yep, it is pretty scruffy, was backed by very early RDF code from Guha
and friends when at Netscape/Mozilla. There are scripts around to,
rather minimally, fix it up (namespace URIs, character encoding, etc).
Those scripts could probably be adapted to emit SKOS rather easily.

> > And we can doubtless find some RDF representation of Bristol as
> > a member of a class "City", with location info, population, etc...
> >
> > My hypothesis is that a new property in SKOS, skos:conceptualizes,
> > could be used to relate bristol-the-skos-concept to
> > bristol-the-thing-in-the-world.
>
>  ... looks to me indeed very close to the notion of "subjet indicator".

I suspect so too. Topicmap people have often said that RDF confuses
things with their representations. I believe RDF allows such modelling
errors to be made, but also that it allows perfect clarity. TMs, on my
understanding, try to have more built-in facilities for preserving
those distinctions.

cheers,

Dan