Design Issue (4) - Concepts as language-embedded, language indepe ndent, or both?

From: Miles, AJ (Alistair) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:31:57 -0000
To: "'public-esw-thes@w3.org'" <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

I've added this issue to the discussion on the RDF Thesaurus wiki page
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/RdfThesaurus>

Here is a summary:-

Issue 4 - Concepts as language-embedded, language independent, or both?

There are multilingual thesauri. When modelling multilingual data in RDF, we
can choose one of the following options:

Option 1: Concepts in a language - allow language properties only on nodes
typed as Concepts.

Option 2: Labels in a language - allow language properties (or tags) only on
nodes (or literals) which represent labels.

Option 3: And/or - allow concepts and/or labels to have language properties.

The choice of solution has bold implications. If we choose option 1 we are
assuming that all abstract concepts are embedded in a language; there can be
no language independent concepts. If we choose option 2 we can model only
concepts that are deemed to be 'language-independent'. If we choose option 3
we can represent both language-embedded and language-independent concepts,
however there may be some considerable scope for confusion.

... more at <http://esw.w3.org/topic/RdfThesaurus>

CCLRC - Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Building R1 Room 1.60
Fermi Avenue