Re: WAI mobile resoures

Hi Susan and Charlotte,

I am sorry for getting this to you at the end of the day. I wanted to get
it out sooner, but it just didn't happen.

Here is your original Editing Plan that was sent in on Aug 29:
------------------------

Charlotte and I have reviewed and discussed the existing WAI mobile pages
and propose the following changes:

1.      The first two sections of the Web Accessibility Developer Intros
created  (Mobile Concepts <https://w3c.github.io/wai-mobile-intro/mobile/>
 andWAI Guidance
<https://w3c.github.io/wai-mobile-intro/mobile/wai-guidance/>) have a
broader application than as a tutorial for developers. They serve as an
introduction and overview to all audiences. We have two options for
addressing this content:

·         The best option would be to move this content into the broader
WAI mobile section, replacing the current overview page (
https://www.w3.org/WAI/mobile/) entirely.

·         An alternative would be to duplicate much of this content on our
overview page(s).

In either scenario, the tutorials themselves would be prominently linked to
and described.

2.      As for the other two existing mobile pages, we recommend completely
removing them. Some of the more general concepts and information on those
pages are covered in the Developer Intro content. In our draft, we'll
clearly note where the content that is still relevant has been included in
new drafts but we believe the bulk of the content is either unneeded at
this point or is a replication of content elsewhere on the WAI site.

3.      We need to add much more specific language and information about
native applications. How WCAG addresses and applies to accessibility for
native apps is not addressed clearly enough in our existing content,
including in the new Web Developer's guide. We do a good job with Web for
mobile but must do more to help all audiences with native apps. That's
absolutely a topic visitors will look for.

We will reach out to members of the MATF as well for input.

--------------------------------

Below is my summarized feedback from the planning team that we hope you
will incorporate in the edits.

   1. WAI/mobile <https://www.w3.org/WAI/mobile/>:
      - Keep this page narrowly focused on answering the following
      frequently asked questions (but don't do it in an FAQ format):
         - Does W3C have/maintain mobile accessibility standards?
         - What is W3C doing related to mobile accessibility?
         - Where can I learn more about mobile accessibility? (which will
         be a good lead into the Intro resource)
      - Understand about the first two sections of the Intro resource
      having broader application. But, would like to keep this mobile page
      focused on questions above. Avoid duplicating content - don't include
      introduction of specific issues in this page, leave that to the new intro
      resource
      - More that should be better clarified on this page:
         - Mobile accessibility isn't separate, it's covered by WCAG, UAAG,
         adn other WcC standards.
         - Mobile accessibility will be more specifically addressed by new
         requirements in WCAG 2.1. WCAG 2.1 Working Draft is available now and
         should be completed in 2018.
         - Introduce the point that "Mobile accessibility" includes issues
         that are beyond "mobile", such as small screen sizes, different input
         modalities, different devices such as TVs, Web of Things, ...
[Decide how
         much to say here -- probably not much, just introduce and
point to other
         resource.]
         - Revise the title/name of this page to better match the content
      therein. Suggestion that is implemented in new IA is "Mobile
Accessibility
      at W3C"
   2. No problem with removing the other two pages. Be sure to work in any
   content in them that you feel should be moved over to the main page or be
   sure it is touched on in the Intro if not in the main page (if it is needed
   to be kept).
   3. Collaborating with the new Intro resource (draft)
   <https://w3c.github.io/wai-mobile-intro/mobile/>:
      - Good point that some of the current content is of interest to more
      than developers. This is still a rough draft, and it is open for
      input into refining it! Current GitHub open issues: <
      https://github.com/w3c/wai-mobile-intro/issues>. Editors (Kim and
      Kathy) wanted to take another pass at it before more review. However, big
      picture comments on organization, overall content, etc. are welcome asap.
      We believe you both have good perspectives on this, and have
good ideas for
      needed edits.
      - Among your ideas for edits, here are some other ideas you may want
      to raise issues in GitHub for consideration based on your plan comments:
         - Title it to more broad than "developers intro". Maybe simply: Intro
         to Mobile Accessibility
         - Consider a subtitle and/or prominent content upfront that helps
         dispel the notion that "mobile accessibility" is different.
      4. Navigation: As you work on edits to the page consider how it is
   fitting into the new top navigation of the site redesign <
   http://w3c.github.io/wai-website/>
      - Under "Standards/Guidelines" is the placeholder for this resource
      "Mobile Accessibility at W3C"
      - Under "Design & Develop" is "Mobile Accessibility Intro"
   5. Native:
      - We agree it would be good to make it more clear that WCAG applies
      to native, in both this page and the new Intro resource. We are assuming
      this would be brief.
      - Before spending too much time on the effort, we would be happy to
      look at some specifics of what you both think should be added. If it is a
      longer section, or another page, it would be good to seek collaboration
      from the Mobile Accessibility TF and others before spending too much time
      and effort on development. If you reach out to MATF, remember to cc:
      public-eo-archive@w3.org for tracking.
      - We are not exactly what plans there are to develop new content
      related to native. Thinking the mobile success criteria of WCAG 2.1
      may/would be applicable to native. Also may be some techniques related.
      Would be good to confirm with MATF and WAI staff. (Also should
ask if MATF
      has plans for more guidance, like COGA does and LVTF might.)

-------------------------
I know this is a lot of information, but I wanted to go ahead and summarize
all my notes of what we discussed when looking at your Editing Plan and
what we thought we could add to help clarify and recommend in some key
areas. Biggest things is to get it to focus on those questions that are
asked more frequently and then link them to the other resource(s).

We are looking forward to the edits and believe you guys will do a great
job of it.
Please let me know if you still have any questions and I can meet with you
by phone or you can attend one of our planning meetings to get
clarification from all of us on planning team.

Thanks,
Brent   :)

Brent A. Bakken
Director, Accessibility Strategy & Education Services
Pearson

512 202 1087
brent.bakken@pearson.com

Learn more at pearson.com