Socio-Technical Systems

Re: Property "geographic identifier" in LOCN (was: Re: ISA Core   Location Vocabulary)

 On 01/03/2014 03:13 AM, Kostis Kyzirakos wrote:

 > In the RDF world, every resource is identified by a URI.
 >
 > In the GIS world, a geographic feature is usually identified by a geographic identifier.

This creates a Linked Data scale problem.  Many think it is "chaos" or non-linear - meaning a good thing to flee, but it is neither.

The "day to day business" of assigning integer identifiers changes with the project size, because neither the Things (assignee) nor the identifier (integer) come in fractional quantities.  This makes the "constant of integration" not constant at high populations. The variability in the "constant" is easily predictable though, and easily explainable just by understanding that every business day will have one incomplete transaction (one mismatched fraction).

There is no such thing as a fractional URI.  If you imagine they exist then you probably imagine they provide a cool, useful identification service ... nods in the direction of Silicon Valley and the NSA.

It is better to just correct and move on, I think.

http://www.rustprivacy.org/2013/education/popcalc.html

--Gannon