US - Fwd: Be part of the next Open Gov National Action Plan!

In particular note:
https://hackpad.com/How-to-participate-in-development-of-the-U.S.-Open-Government-National-Action-Plan-3.0-lYDkyBe1aCZ
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Zarek, Corinna" <Corinna_J_Zarek@ostp.eop.gov>
Date: Jun 10, 2015 2:02 PM
Subject: Be part of the next Open Gov National Action Plan!
To: "us-open-government@googlegroups.com" <
us-open-government@googlegroups.com>

 Hello, everyone!

Wanted to share a recent blog post detailing how you can contribute ideas
for the next Open Government National Action Plan. Please help us spread
the word!

Looking forward to hearing your great suggestions!

Cori

https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2015/06/04/help-us-strengthen-open-government
  Help Us Strengthen Open Government

Posted by Corinna Zarek on June 04, 2015 at 05:48 PM EDT

Since the United States joined the Open Government Partnership in 2011,
U.S. agencies have been working alongside civil society to develop and
implement commitments to increase transparency, improve participation, and
curb corruption. From opening up Federal spending data to make it easier to
see how taxpayer dollars are spent, to the *We the People* online petition
site where the public can propose U.S. policy changes, to strengthening
efforts to deny safe haven in the U.S. to corrupt individuals, our efforts
to advance open government are making an impact.

Consistent with the commitment to the Open Government Partnership, later
this year the United States plans to publish a third Open Government
National Action Plan (NAP) including new and expanded open government
initiatives to pursue in the next two years. The first U.S. NAP was
published in 2011 and the second NAP — which is still being implemented through
the end of 2015 — was published in 2013.

These plans are a true team effort — governments work alongside civil
society in all 65 OGP countries to develop and implement the efforts within
the plans. Over the next several months, we encourage you to contribute
your ideas and work with us to build an ambitious third NAP!

*How can you contribute?*

Please share any NAP suggestions with us via email at opengov@ostp.gov or
tweet us at @OpenGov. You can also contribute ideas to a publicly available
Hackpad — an open, collaborative platform — that the General Services
Administration is helping coordinate. (You will need to create an account
on that site before viewing and contributing to content on that platform.)

You may wish to suggest expanded commitments on topic areas from the first
two plans such as public participation, open data, records management,
natural resource revenue transparency, the Freedom of Information Act, open
innovation, or open educational resources, among others. You may also wish
to suggest entirely new initiatives — and we hope you do!

The OGP provides guidance on creating NAPs and directs that commitments
should be:

·         *Ambitious*: pushing government beyond current practice by
strengthening transparency, accountability, and public participation;

·         *Relevant*: advancing one of the four open government principles
of (1) transparency, (2) accountability, (3) participation, and/or (4)
technology and innovation;

·         *Specific*: describing the problem to be solved and expected
outcomes; and

·         *Measurable*: allowing independent observers to gauge whether the
commitment has been completed.

As you suggest possible initiatives for the next NAP to help ensure the
United States pursues bold, ambitious efforts, please tell us how those
suggestions would achieve these criteria.

We look forward to working together as we update our roadmap for open
government in the United States. Join us!

*Corinna Zarek is the Senior Advisor for Open Government to the U.S. Chief
Technology Officer in the Office of Science and Technology Policy*

*Corinna Zarek*

Senior Advisor for Open Government

Office of Science and Technology Policy | The White House

202.456.6075

whitehouse.gov/open

@OpenGov